Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are light, crispy, and the perfect low carb side dish. Dunk them in your favorite keto-friendly dipping sauce for a healthy and satisfying bite.
Why You'll Love These Keto Fries
- Fast. A keto side dish that is ready in under 30 minutes with the help of your air fryer.
- Easy. Chop up the zucchini, bread the zucchini sticks, spray with oil, and air fryer. That's all there is to it.
- Low Carb. Only net carbs per serving.
- Gluten Free. This recipe uses almond flour to make them not only low in carbs but a great gluten free snack or appetizer.
Why Are My Zucchini Fries Soggy?
Zucchini have a high water content. Because of this, when you cut in to them, they have a tendency to slowly release some of their liquid.
To avoid having soggy zucchini fries, I would suggest cutting your zucchini into sticks and then place them on a kitchen towel or paper towel to help absorb any of the excess moisture before breading them and cooking them in your air fryer.
How Do You Cut Zucchini Into Fries?
There is no "right" way to cut zucchini fries, but I will tell you how I prefer to go about cutting mine.
- On a cutting board, use a sharp knife and remove about 1/2 an inch from both ends of the zucchini. This should leave you without any rounded ends that tend to be a bit tough or dried out.
- Use the knife to cut the zucchini in half lengthwise.
- Use a large spoon to scrape the middle of the zucchini and remove any large seeds.
- Cut the prepared zucchini halves into strips that resemble the shape of french fries.
What Temperature Do You Cook Zucchini Sticks At In The Air Fryer?
The trick to a sturdy keto fry is to air fry them at a high temperature. This will pull any of the remaining excess moisture out of the zucchini and crisp up the batter.
For the best air fryer zucchini fries, air fry them at 400F.
- Zucchini- Smaller zucchini tend to be more tender and have fewer large seeds than more mature vegetables.
- Almond Flour- Creates a "breading" on the zucchini without the addition of gluten or a high amount of carbs.
- Egg- Helps the almond flour stick to the zucchini sticks.
- Oil- Spray just a little over the top of your air fryer zucchini fries before cooking for a perfectly crispy crust.
- Salt and Pepper- A simple seasoning blend to allow all of the flavor in this dish to come from the freshness of the zucchini.
How To Make Air Fryer Zucchini Fries
If you're familiar with battering anything, whether it be protein, or vegetables, the process of making these air fryer zucchini fries shouldn't be too complicated. Even if this is your first time breading anything, you'll still find the steps below incredibly simple and easy to follow.
- Prepare the zucchini sticks using the instructions provided above.
- In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, scramble an egg.
- Place the dried zucchini sticks in the egg mixture. Remove them from the egg mixture and place them in the almond flour. Roll them around to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Lightly spray the outside of the battered zucchini fries with oil and place them in the air fryer basket.
- Air fry, flipping half way through the cooking time.
- Remove the keto fries from the air fryer basket, serve with your favorite low carb dipping sauce (i love this Keto Ranch Dressing but Big Mac Sauce is another solid choice) and enjoy!
- Double up the crisp. If you want a more intense crisp in each bite, use a food processor to grind up some pork rinds and mix it in with the almond flour before breading and air frying.
- Kick up the heat. One of my favorite tricks for making food more exciting is to add a punch of heat. To add spice to these air fryer zucchini fries, simply sprinkle some cayenne pepper into your breading along with the salt and pepper.
- Make them cheesy. Cheese makes so many things more delicious, these keto fries are no exception. For a low carb and flavorful addition to traditional zucchini fries, sprinkle some parmesan cheese on before air frying.
What To Serve With Them
Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are incredibly versatile and can be paired well with so many low carb main courses. Here are a few of my favorite proteins to serve alongside these keto fries:
How Long Do They Last?
While Air Fryer Zucchini Fries are best served fresh and hot, you can make them ahead of time or store any leftovers you may have for later.
For the best bite, I would suggest storing the zucchini fries in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
The longer they are stored, the more moisture is released. This could cause the breading to come off of the zucchini fries or become soggy. To crisp the breading back up and reheat the keto fries, just place them back in your air fryer at 375F for 2-3 minutes or until they are warmed through.
More Low Carb Side Dishes
Low carb side dishes can make all of the difference in keeping your keto-friendly main courses new and exciting. After you try out these air fryer zucchini fries, show some love to these tasty sides:
If you love these Air Fryer Zucchini Fries as much as we do, make sure you share them with your friends on Facebook and Instagram! Don't forget to Pin them so you can make them again later.
- 4 Zucchini
- 3/4 cup Superfine Almond Flour
- 1 Eggs
- 1/2 tsp Kosher Salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Black Pepper
- Prepare the zucchini sticks using the instructions provided above. In a large bowl, mix together almond flour, salt, and pepper.
- In a separate bowl, scramble an egg.Place the dried zucchini sticks in the egg mixture. Remove them from the egg mixture and place them in the almond flour. Roll them around to ensure they are evenly coated.
- Lightly spray the outside of the battered zucchini fries with oil and place them in the air fryer basket.Air fry at 400F for 10-12 minutes flipping half way through the cooking time.
- Remove the keto fries from the air fryer basket, serve with your favorite low carb dipping sauce and enjoy!
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
And don't forget to check out my air fryer cookbooks! Every day easy air fryer, and Air Fryer Revolution.
Leave a Reply