If you want to give your chicken a tropical flare, you need to make this Air Fryer Huli Huli Chicken. Make the sauce and the chicken at the same time, and get a sweet and slightly spicy, family-friendly dinner on the table fast. If this isn't the best Air Fryer Huli Huli Chicken, then please send me your recipe because we loved this one, and I can't imagine how it gets better than this!
What is Huli Huli Chicken?
"Huli" means, "turn" in Hawaiian. Traditional Hawaiian barbecue is made over a fire pit where it's turned constantly over the heat to get an even cook. Huli Huli Chicken is marinated chicken that tastes great cooked in your Air Fryer.
The Huli Huli sauce has all the amazing tropical flavors you'd expect from a Hawaiian dish. You get a nice tang from the pineapple, and a rich and savory contrast from the soy sauce making a beautiful combination of flavor.
What's with the extra sauce?
Here's a tip about air frying. Unless you want to fill your house with a lot of smoke, you really need the meats relatively dry before they go in. So what I do is that I marinate the meats to tenderize and provide flavor--but then I put them in relatively dry. After they are cooked, I pour some sauce on top.
It is EXTREMELY important that you don't use the marinade for the sauce. You really don't want to risk getting sick with raw chicken marinade. Instead, just do what I tell you to, which is to make twice the sauce needed, use half the marinade, and pour the other half over the cooked meat.
Want More Air Fryer Recipes?
- Quickly peel your zucchini. Leaving some (or all) of the skin is also fine.
- Cut your zucchini into 1/8 to 1/4 inch medallions.
- Quickly dip your medallions into the egg wash.
- Dredge your zucchini slices into the flour mixture.
- Place in a springform pan, or any other pan that fits comfortably in your air fryer
- Spray liberally with a glass oil sprayer or aerosol oil spray
- Cook at 350F for 12 minutes, flipping halfway through the cooking cycle.
- Salt liberally while fresh out of the air fryer
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS BEST AIR FRYER HULI HULI CHICKEN:
- Gowise Air Fryer or Philips Avance XL or Breville Smart Oven Air
- Meat Thermometer. Essential for Air Fryer cooking!
- Air Fryer accessory set or 7-inch pan
- Tongs to move stuff around. I use either these big silicone tongs or this set of Smaller Tongs which are easier on my hands
- Measuring cups
- My favorite cutting board
- Good set of knives
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
- Use a fork to poke holes into the chicken and place the chicken in a large bowl or in a Ziploc bag.
- Make the sauce.
- Remove 1/4 cup of juice from the canned pineapple and drink the rest as your reward. Set aside the pineapple chunks.
- In a small microwave safe bowl, mix together 1/4 cup of pineapple juice, soy sauce, sugar, ketchup, ginger and garlic.
- Pour half the sauce over the chicken Mix until the thighs are well-coated with the marinade. Reserve the rest of the sauce to cook as a dipping sauce (below).
- Set aside the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Place the marinated chicken in the airfryer at 360F for 15 minutes, turning half way through.
- Meanwhile, place the reserved sauce in the microwave and cook on high for 45-60 seconds, stirring every 15 seconds. You are going to cook this until you get a thick glaze or pouring sauce that you can use with the cooked chicken
- Using a meat thermometer, ensure your chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
- Remove chicken to a serving tray, garnish with pineapples and green onions and serve with the thickened sauce poured over all of it.