This authentic Russian Borscht recipe has been simplified for your Instant Pot or pressure cooker to give you the traditional taste you want without spending half the day making it!
Russian Borscht | Pressure Cooker Recipe
If you’ve followed me for very long, you know I love international food and recipes. I’m known for my Instant Pot Keto Butter Chicken recipe, but I also love amazing Mexican food like my Low Carb Pollo Con Salsa Rojo recipe, and Lebanese food like my One Pot Lebanese Hashweh recipe, but today we’re making Authentic Russian Borscht.
WHAT IS A BORSCHT?
A borscht is basically a slightly sour soup that is popular in much of Eastern Europe. When we think of a Borscht in the United States, we often associate that with a soup with beet in it. But in fact, Borscht can also be made with a variety of different ingredients.
Really, there are as many good Borscht recipes as there are families who make them. So once you try–and enjoy– this authentic Russian borscht, feel free to add other ingredients such as potatoes, hard boiled eggs, julienned parsnips, etc.
HOW THIS PRESSURE COOKER AUTHENTIC RUSSIAN BORSCHT RECIPE IS DIFFERENT FROM THE OTHER BORSCHT RECIPES:
Someone in my Facebook group asked for an authentic Russian Borscht Recipe. Mila Ioffe, who is Russian, posted her recipe and we all got quite excited about it. My husband has spent quite some time in Russia and has spoken fondly of the Borscht he has had there.
So I was motivated to try Mila’s Russian Borscht recipe. But she warned me it was quite time-consuming. I decided to adapt it to the Instant Pot and reduce as many steps as I could without compromising flavor.
The first thing I did was got rid of the steps where you made stock separately, the beets separately and cooked the stock in one pan and the vegetables in another pan. I also omitted the potatoes from this soup to lower carbs a bit.
I do think that this does have the authentic Russian Borscht flavor but I definitely didn’t spend half the day making it. I do hope you’ll try it and report back.
If you’re looking for more great international recipes, check out my Instant Pot Butter Chicken! This Indian butter chicken recipe is easily my most popular recipe, so much so that I’ve been dubbed the “Butter Chicken Lady”!
Another fantastic international recipe is my Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja. It’s simple, flavorful and easily made in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker!
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER AUTHENTIC RUSSIAN BORSCHT:
- Instant pot 6 quarts, or Instant Pot 8 Quarts (this recipe is too large to make in the Mini)
- Measuring Cups
- My favorite Cutting Board
- Good set of Kitchen Knives
- Salad shooter or some other way to grate the beets and carrots
? Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
For the first Cooking Cycle
For the second Cooking Cycle
- 1.5-2 cups water
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix
- 1 cup peeled, coarsely shredded beets
- 1 cup peeled, coarsely shredded carrots
- 3 tablespoons White Vinegar
- Fresh dill
- Sour Cream
- Turn your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker to Sauté. When it is hot, add chopped bacon and cook for 3-4 minutes until the edges are crisped.
- Add chopped onion, chopped garlic cloves, and large chopped carrots, tomatoes, short ribs, and all remaining spices from the first cooking cycle. This step cooks the meat while also making a rich meat stock.
- Set the pot to cook on high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, using a coarse grater or a zoodler, grate the beets and carrots and set aside. I used this old-fashioned salad shooter that I absolutely love.
- When the pot is done cooking, allow it to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes, and then release all pressure.
- Add the additional water, vegetables, and vinegar.
- Seal the pot and cook for 1 minute and high pressure. This will cook the vegetables just enough.
- When it is done, release all pressure quickly.
- Serve with fresh chopped dill and sour cream.
- You can also serve with a side of dark rye bread toasted with olive oil and rubbed with a garlic clove.
- Nutritional info will vary with the amount of meat and fat on your short ribs
- You can add 2 shredded potatoes into the second cooking cycle if you'd like
Don’t forget to check out my Instant Pot Fast & Easy Cookbook!
This book is full of all kinds of boldly flavored and internationally-themed recipes—Mexican, Thai, Moroccan, and more—with Instant Pot Fast & Easy, fully authorized by Instant Pot. Just like you have come to expect, my recipes will work perfectly every time, and of course taste great too. And because these are Instant Pot recipes, dishes like Japanese Chicken Curry, Chinese Steamed Ribs, and Mexican Pulled Pork are ready in a fraction of the time they would take using traditional cooking methods. As with all of my recipes, the focus is on whole foods instead of artificial convenience ingredients, so the recipes are delicious, easy, and healthful too.