Love Brussels sprouts? Use your oven and a sheet pan to try this roasted Brussel Sprouts with Bacon recipe for the perfect easy low carb side dish tonight.
What Makes These So Delicious?
- Low Carb. Only 2 net carbs per serving.
- Keto. No need to worry about added sugars in this recipe.
- Easy. Pop everything on a sheet pan and cook in the oven.
- Gluten-Free. A completely gluten-free side dish.
- Yummy. There's bacon. What more can I say?
Is It Brussel or Brussels?
The more popular way to say it is brussel, as it rolls off of the tongue a little easier. However, that's not the correct way to say or spell it. This tasty little veggie is technically called a Brussels sprout.
Do You Wash Brussel Sprouts Before Roasting?
As with any vegetable, you'll want to wash the brussels sprouts thoroughly before you cook them. In addition to washing, you'll also want to trim the ends to remove any damaged pieces.
What Ingredients Do I Need For This Recipe?
You'll love this recipe because of how few ingredients you need to make it. It's great as a last-minute side dish to any meal you're making. Here's what you'll need:
- Brussels sprouts
- Red Onion
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Ground Black Pepper
How To Roast Brussels Sprouts
Roasting Brussels sprouts is super easy. That's why I love them so much. I'm known for my #ruthlessefficiency .
Here's how you do it:
- Chop. Cut each sprout in half and take out the tough outer leaves.
- Cut. Dice bacon into small bits.
- Dice. Cut onion into pieces that are roughly the same size as the sprouts.
- Mix. Take a quart Ziploc bag (or a bowl) and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Cover. Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the mixture in an even, single layer.
- Cook. Bake, turning half-way through the cooking time.
- Broil. You may want to finish up by broiling them to get them properly caramelized. I precooked them, and when it was time to reheat, I broiled them to get them crispy.
Should You Roast Brussel Sprouts Cut Side Up Or Down?
I'm generally not too finicky about how my brussels sprouts are laying when I toss them in the air fryer or on a baking sheet in the oven. Honestly, as long as they are roasted, they're delicious.
If you want a more uniform appearance, place them cut side down so that the outer layer caramelizes. This will give them a uniform look and a delightfully crunchy texture.
Are Brussel Sprouts Good Leftover?
Yes, they are. In fact, it gives you a chance to broil them to make them a little crispier and add some caramelization to them. This adds depth to their flavor and reduces cook time when preparing them as a side to any meal.
How Do You Roast Brussel Sprouts So They Are Not Soggy?
Chances are if your Brussel sprouts with bacon turned out mushy is because you overcooked them. If you cook them for too long on low heat before you broil them, they will turn out soggy and have a strong smell.
Roasted Brussels Sprouts Variations
There are so many ways to make these brussels sprouts even more delicious. Here are a few variations that I love:
With Bacon and Garlic
Make this recipe as it calls for below. Simply add some minced garlic to the mix before baking and enjoy the extra flavor.
With Bacon and Parmesan
After cooking, while the brussels sprouts are still hot, sprinkle some parmesan cheese over the mixture and serve immediately.
With Bacon and Onion
If a red onion isn't your flavor of choice, or you don't have any in your pantry, feel free to substitute it with any onion of your choice.
With Bacon and Maple Syrup
For this version, you'll want to make sure you do are using the optional step of broiling.
After the brussels sprouts are done cooking, but before broiling, you will drizzle maple syrup over the top. Of course, this will make for a less than keto-friendly version of this dish, but it's absolutely delicious.
Follow my cooking times and directions and yours will turn out perfectly crispy and not overcooked and soggy.
What Do You Eat With Brussel Sprouts?
Honestly, the options are limitless. They're the perfect veggie side dish to add to your favorite protein.
Sometimes when I'm feeling especially lazy, I make this as a full low carb meal. But if you're cooking for a crowd, here are a few of my favorite things to eat these with:
How Long Do Roasted Brussles Sprouts Last?
When I make a batch of these, I usually double it while I have the air fryer heated already. They reheat so deliciously and quickly you'll fall in love whether they're freshly made or leftover.
For the best results, I would suggest eating them within 3 days to prevent them from losing their firmness and to keep any excess moisture from settling in the cut veggies.
Want More Keto Recipes?
- Big Mac Salad - the perfect low carb copy cat Big Mac recipe.
- Butter Chicken - the reason they call me "The Butter Chicken Lady"
- Chicken Vindaloo- great authentic Indian recipe.
- Cauliflower Buffalo Wings - a great Vegetarian appetizer.
- Ginger Cookies - the best keto cookie you've ever tried.
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Bars - my most popular keto dessert recipe.
If you love this super easy and low carb Brussel Sprouts with Bacon recipe as much as I do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try them too.
- 1 pound brussels sprouts
- 3 slices Bacon
- 1 Red Onion. chopped
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt, to taste
- Ground Black Pepper, to taste
- Cut each sprout in half and take out hte touch outer leaves.
- Dice bacon into small bits.
- Cut onion into pieces that are roughly the same size as the sprouts.
- Take a quart Ziploc bag (or a bowl) and mix all of the ingredients together.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spread the mixture in an even, single layer.
- Bake at 350 for 30-50 minutes, turning half-way through.
- You may want to finish up by broiling them to get them properly caramelized. I precooked them ,and when it was time to reheat, I broiled them to get them crispy.
- You can cut and mix the veggies and bacon ahead of time and put the ziploc back in the fridge. This way you can prep the veggies and pour them in a pan when it's time to start dinner.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published August 15, 2020
Don't forget to check out my other Keto cookbooks.
Keto Instant Pot, Keto Fat Bombs, Sweets, & Treats, and Easy keto in 30 minutes.
I will have to presume that given the total time of 40 minutes the actual prep time should be 10 minutes, not "19 days" LOL
I don't usually do this but I gave it 5 stars without having tried it, I just know it will be worth it. Thanks