Links used are affiliate links. Thank you for supporting my blogging habit at no cost to you!
This is the best way I’ve found to make a Cajun Shrimp and Sausage boil in the Instant Pot. We love going out to places like the Boiling Crab that do crab, sausage, shrimp, corn and potatoes in a bag.
But our problem is that not only is it an hour and a half drive, the portions are just too large for us even if three of us get one portion to split, and leftovers just don’t taste that great with this.
If you’re a family of four, this can also get expensive to eat out, as each entrée runs about $20-$25.
I decided to try making a Shrimp and Sausage boil at home instead. In the past however, when I’ve made shrimp in the Instant Pot, I find it to be a little overcooked, and mealy.
So this time, I was going to quick-cook it in residual heat from the broth. I bought a pound of sausage, 1 pounds. of easy-peel shrimp, 1 package of 6 frozen half ears of corn, 4 new red potatoes and it was about $16–and at our house, this will make two dinners for the four. YMMV.
If you’re not low-carbing, definitely serve some light, crusty bread with it to sop up all the sauce. I licked it off a spoon, as I tend to do, but it was calling out plaintively for a little piece of bread.
I actually froze half of the corn, sausage, and potatoes in a bag, and in a separate bag, I added the frozen shrimp and put it all into one bag. Next time I make it, I’ll put everything but the shrimp in the IP and then add the shrimp later.
So this is Instant Pot + pan, or Saucepan + Pan because you boil the sausage, corn and potatoes in the Instant Pot, but I made the sauce in a pan. There’s no reason why you couldn’t do both in the Instant Pot, but I needed dinner on the table fast, so I made the sauce in the pan while by Instant Pot came up to pressure.
The Steps for this Instant Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Boil are:
- Boil corn, sausage and potatoes with flavoring in Instant Pot for 4 mins HP, QPR
- Make sauce
- Quick cook Shrimp
- Mix everything into sauce
- Pig out.
Additional Instant Pot Shrimp Recipes or Low Carb Shrimp recipes include:
- Creamy Shrimp Scampi
- Keto Easiest Ever Shrimp Coconut Curry
- Shrimp Risotto
- Shrimp with pico de gallo and guacamole
- Easy Piquant Shrimp
- Creamy Spicy Shrimp
- Shrimp with Cotijo and Tomatillos
- Mexican Shrimp Cocktail
- Shrimp and Pineapple Stir-fry
- Prosciutto-wrapped Spanish Shrimp
- 1/2 pounds smoked sausage, cut into four pieces
- 4 ears corn
- 2 red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana Shrimp and Crab Boil
- Water to cover the above
- 1/2 pounds raw shrimp
- Place the sausage, corn and potatoes in the pot and cover with water.
Set your Instant Pot to High pressure for 4 minutes.
Meanwhile in a pan over medium high heat, melt the better.
- Add minced garlic and sauté well while stirring, allowing the butter to boil and take on the garlic flavor.
Add all other spices and mix well, and taste it. Be sparing with these spices otherwise your sauce will get quite salty. Most of the flavor will come from the butter and garlic, anyway, and you can add the plain hot sauce for heat if you need. Leave this sauce to warm in the pan. By this time your Instant Pot should be done.
Once your Instant Pot is done, perform a Quick Pressure Release and open the lid carefully. Check to ensure the potatoes are cooked. Mine were very tender, but not mushy.
Throw in your shrimp and stir. As soon as the shrimp turn pink, take them out, and then take out the corn, potatoes, and sausage.
Put everything bit by in into the sauce, stirring well to coat everything with the spiced butter goodness, starting with the shrimp so they have to cook just a little more.
- Serve immediately and be prepared for everyone to want to dip their food into the sauce left in the serving pot.
- Adjust this as you need to feed children or adults who can't tolerate spice, by simply relying on butter, garlic, lemon juice, and lemon pepper to add flavor to the butter.
Equipment & Ingredients You May Need to Make Instant Pot Cajun Shrimp and Sausage Boil
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Louisiana Shrimp and Crab Boil
- Hot Sauce
Pin for later here. It’s actually one of my most pinned recipes.
Check out even more Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
Order your copy today!
Don’t have an Instant Pot yet? Wondering what Accessories to get? Check out my helpful post on my Favorite Instant Pot Accessories! You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!