This recipe for a Low Carb Poblano Chicken Soup is bursting with flavor, without being spicy.
You know those white chicken chili recipes? I always look at those and wonder if you can still call it chile when it has no chilis in it. What’s white chili anyway? I don’t know. What I do know is they look very interesting.
But they also have a lot of white beans in them and I wanted to keep it somewhat lower carb. The other thing I noticed is that they all used canned beans. I don’t want to use canned beans, because I have a Instant Pot that makes great beans.
What I had to do was find a way to cook beans and chicken together without leaving one raw and the other overcooked, and use something other than the beans to provide creaminess to the soup.
So I used small white beans called Navy beans because once soaked, they cook within 10 minutes. But I also added riced/diced cauliflower to add creaminess. I finished it with cream cheese, to add a little good fat, but also a creamy finish to the soup.
The result is a robust chicken soup that’s not spicy, but is quite flavorful from all the vegetables and chicken. At about 8 gms net carbs per serving, and 23 gms of protein, it makes an easy low-carb meal.
SInce I wrote this recipe, several people have asked me what Poblano peppers are, so I’m including a picture below. If you can’t find poblanos where you live, just use a mild chile of some kind and enjoy your new recipe.
Note: if you want to lower carb counts even more in the Poblano Chicken Soup, omit the beans, double the cauliflower, and cut back the water by about 1/2 cup. That will give you a soup with about 5 gms of net carbs but it will be less robust. Since it only saves you about 3 gms of carbs, I’m not sure the tradeoff is worth it but it depends on what else you’re eating that day 🙂
The steps for this Low Carb Poblano Chicken Recipe are:
- Put chicken, soaked beans, spices, and water and cook at high pressure for 16 mins, 10 mins NPR
- Remove and shred chicken
- Purée sauce using an immersion blender
- Add cream cheese
- Add back chicken.
Equipment & Ingredients You May Need to Make Pressure Cooker Low Carb Poblano Chicken Soup
Instant Pot Ultra 6 Qt 10-in-1 Multi-Instant Pot DUO80 8 Qt 7-in-1Instant Pot Duo Mini 3 Qt 7-in-1KitchenAid KHB2351CU 3-Speed Hand Blender – ContourBellemain Stainless Steel Measuring Cup Set, 6Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Spoon SetMorton Salt Iodized Sea Salt – 26Badia Minced Garlic, 8 ozSimply Organic – Coriander – 2.29 oz.McCormick Ground Cumin, 14 oz
- 2 ounces cream cheese
- Put everything except the cream cheese into your Instant Pot, and cook at high pressure for 15 minutes. Allow it to release pressure naturally for ten minutes, and the release all remaining pressure.
- Turn your pot onto Sauté, and when the broth is hot and bubbling, put in the cream cheese cut into chunks. Use a whisk to blend in the cream cheese if needed.
- Shred the chicken and put back into the pot, until heated through.
Note: if you want to lower carb counts even more, omit the beans, double the cauliflower, and cut back the water by about 1/2 cup. That will give you a soup with about 5 gms of net carbs but it will be less robust. Since it only saves you about 3 gms of carbs, I'm not sure the tradeoff is worth it but it depends on what else you're eating that day 🙂
- Love the recipe? Check out my Pressure Cooker Mexican Recipes e-Cookbook.
- Love this recipe? Check out Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
- This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- Order your copy today!
- Ready to upgrade your Instant Pot with must have accessories? Check them out here!
- You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!