As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. We may also earn money from the companies mentioned in this post.
Malai Baingan is a recipe you need to try, because you are going to love it! The flavors blow up and are so good together! This is an easy and delicious indian eggplant recipe that will be quite different to anything you’ve tried. Creamy, spicy, hearty Indian Instant Pot recipe which is a great way to add a low carb keto side dish to your dinner table.
Malai Baingan | Keto Indian Creamy Eggplant
I love sharing recipes with you that you wouldn’t get outside of India. But this recipe is even more special, because you’re extremely unlikely to get it in India either. That’s because I totally made it up and it was so tasty that even thought I’m not a fan of eggplant pieces as a rule, I’d totally eat this. So I think it’s a good recipe for the eggplant lover as well as those who don’t particularly love eggplants. Really by the time the spicy, creamy sauce coats the caramelized onions and pan-roasted eggplants, the flavor explosion isn’t what you’d associate with eggplant.
Looking for more delicious eggplant recipes? Check out my Indian Baingan Bharta! It gives you all the smoky flavor of traditional Baingan Bharta without having to spend the time to roast and char the eggplant.
Another great eggplant dish is my Instant Pot Baba Ghanoush! It’s quick and easy to make and it makes a great appetizer or snack.
I made this Malai Baingan very quickly on the stove top (once I decided what to do), and although I’ll list the spices I used, I’m quite sure you could make this with whatever spices you feel like and make versions from different cuisines, depending on the spices you use. But let me share how I did this so you can improvise.
The Recipe Steps are:
- Roll eggplant pieces in oil and mixed spices
- Sauté onions and eggplant until browned, then finish cooking under a covered lid
- Add heavy whipping cream or your favorite non-dairy substitute
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS IN THE RECIPE CARD TO RATE.
Super easy keto Indian eggplant recipe for your Instant Pot. This is great way to eat eggplant. The combination of a spicy, creamy sauce with the meaty eggplant makes a fabulous dish.
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil or ghee
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream or nondairy substitute of choice
- Into a plastic ziplock bag, place the eggplant pieces. Pour in the oil and all spices. Smooth the bag together to mix up the spices and coat the eggplant with the oil and spices. This method keeps you from getting turmeric stains on your nails (don't ask me how I know).
- Heat oil 1 tablespoon oil or ghee, and when it is hot, add in the onions and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add in the spiced eggplant in a single layer, cut side down.
- Let the eggplant and onion brown for about 8-10 minutes.
- Add water and cover the pan, and let the eggplants finish cooking under steam.
- When they're soft, add in the cream and stir, picking up any caramelized fond from the bottom of the pan. Let the cream boil and take on the flavor from the spices before serving.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.