Use up that zucchini and take advantage of apples while they're in season with this yummy Apple Zucchini Salad. It's a low carb fruit salad you can enjoy all summer long.
What Makes This Zucchini Salad So Good?
- Refreshing. Full of crisp, fresh flavors.
- Easy. Slice the fruits and veggies, and coat with dressing.
- Fast. Made in less than 30 minutes. Only 10 to be exact.
- Low Carb. Only 9 net carbs per serving.
Apple and Zucchini Salad is full of fresh, amazing flavor. It will perk up your taste buds, satisfy that desire for a fruit salad, and make wonderful use of that zucchini you can come by so easily.
This is also a great recipe for barbecues or family get-togethers over the summer. The dressing in this makes the apple and zucchini salad come together beautifully.
Can You Eat Zucchini Raw In A Salad?
Not only can you eat zucchini raw, but it's also the most delicious that way (in my opinion, of course). It has a wonderfully crisp, fresh bite in this cold zucchini salad with apple.
Can You Eat The Skin Of A Zucchini?
Whether you eat the skin of zucchini or not depends on a couple of different factors.
- Is it waxed? Some zucchini has waxed skin to help preserve its shelf life. If yours is waxed, you will probably want to remove it.
- How big is it? The larger the zucchini, the more bitter the skin. To avoid a bitter flavor in your zucchini apple salad, you may opt to peel it.
- What are you using it for? Zucchini takes on the flavor of dressings and sauces easily. If you're wanting to intensify the flavor of your dish, consider removing the skin.
How To Make Apple Zucchini Salad
- Mix. In a glass jar with a lid, mix together oil, vinegar, sweetener, salt, pepper and chopped mint leaves. Close the lid and shake it well together to emulsify the dressing. You can also do this in a small bowl with a whisk.
- Rest. Let the dressing rest while you prepare the vegetables.
- Cut. Either julienne or use this spiralizer or KitchenAid attachment to spiralize the vegetables and place them in a bowl.
- Dress. Pour the dressing on the vegetables and toss the salad. This zucchini salad is best served fresh, but it will also keep in the refrigerator for a day or two.
Is This Apple Zucchini Salad A Dessert Or An Actual Salad?
I've found apple salad recipes before that include lots of sugar and heavy dressings. This turns out like more of a dessert, and people just call it a salad.
My recipe for Apple Zucchini Salad is actually a salad and can be enjoyed year-round guilt-free. This salad does have a dressing, but it's not at all full of sugar and heavy ingredients.
The dressing for this is just a few ingredients but contains a fresh mint that makes a world of difference in the flavor. Both apple and zucchini are very porous fruits and absorb the flavors around them, so they soak in this dressing and make the whole dish delicious.
Why Apple and Zucchini And Not Just Apple?
At first glance, you may think that Apple Zucchini Salad might be weird, especially given that I'm asking you to add mint to it. It's not weird. In fact, apples and zucchini work so well together that you may not be able to tell when you're eating an apple or when you're eating zucchini in this Apple Zucchini Salad recipe.
Is This A Low Carb Fruit Salad?
Even though apples are an incredible source of healthy sugar, they're still fairly high in carbs. For instance, one medium apple has about 25 total carbs, whereas one medium zucchini only has about 6 total carbs.
I chose to include zucchini in this salad to reduce the number of carbs per serving while still maintaining the delicious sweetness of the apples.
Even with the reduced carbs from the addition of zucchini, you still want to eat this in moderation if you're living a Keto lifestyle.
Want More Salad Recipes?
- Big Mac Salad- Tastes just like your favorite fast food.
- Antipasto Salad- Grab for a great Keto lunch
- Keto Spicy Tuna Salad- All the flavor without the guilt.
- Creamy Chicken Salad- Great alone or on low carb crackers.
- Indian Cucumber Salad- Light and refreshing.
- Grapefruit Salad Recipe- a creamy and citrus sumer salad.
But, the next time you find yourself swimming in zucchini, or just want a refreshing cold salad for summer, make this Apple Zucchini Salad. If you love the recipe please share with your friends on Facebook and Pin to make again later!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate. Don't forget to pin this recipe for later!
For the Dressing
- In a glass jar with a lid, mix together oil, vinegar, sweetener, salt, pepper and chopped mint leaves. Close the lid and shake it well together to emulsify the dressing. You can also do this in a small bowl with a whisk, but I like this method of making dressings in a mason jar since they emulsify quickly–without needing to wash a bowl and whisk. Let the dressing rest while you prepare the vegetables.
- Either julienne or spiralize the vegetables and place them in a bowl.
- Pour the dressing on the vegetables and toss the salad.
Get support & connect with our community on Facebook!
Originally Published July 11, 2018