You have got to try this 15-minute Spiced Butternut Squash recipe with Chinese 5-spice powder. It's bursting with flavor, vegan and made in an air fryer.
Thanksgiving and fall are some of my favorite times of the year. There are always so many delicious recipes popping up that it makes it hard to choose which one I'll be making next. This Air Fryer Butternut Squash was something I had been wanting to try and boy, I'm glad I did.
I will definitely be making this butternut squash, again and again, this fall. It was far too delicious and far too easy to not make a few more times. It works as a great side dish, however, it also works great as a snack by itself.
Air Fried Spiced Butternut Squash
If you don't own an air fryer, you have to get one. They make recipes so easy, not to mention, much healthier. I couldn't believe how amazing recipes turned out when I first started using it.
This Air Fryer Butternut Squash recipe is another winner when it comes to the air fryer. I couldn't help but steal bites as we took photos. It was just too delicious to look at and not eat.
- Chopped butternut squash- The body of the dish
- Oil- To give that perfectly crispy texture
- Truvia- Brings out the natural sweetness of the butternut squash
- Chinese 5 spice powder- Makes this recipe original and different from other bland squash recipes out there
What Spice Makes This Special?
You were expecting some traditional version of Air Fryer Butternut Squash from us? You're surprised I want to use Chinese 5-spice powder instead?
Clearly, you haven't looked around my blog enough if that's the case! You should start with my recipe index here and play around, to find different cuisines, and recipes to suit different diets here.
Chinese Five Spice Powder is a blend of star anise, Szechuan peppercorns, fennel seeds, cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and sometimes ginger. It has a lovely sweet, hot flavor that is like no other. It's pretty easy to find in stores, but you can also get it on Amazon.
How To Make Butternut Squash In The Air Fryer
Believe it or not, there are only 3 steps to make super easy and delicious butternut squash in your air fryer. Well, technically only two if you leave out the step to serve it.
It's so easy, you would be truly missing out to not try out this 4 ingredient side dish recipe.
Here's how you make it:
- Mix together the butternut squash, oil, Truvia or sugar, and the Chinese 5 spice powder.
- Place the squash in the air fryer basket and cook.
- Remove from the air fryer and enjoy!
Can I Make Spiced Butternut Squash In The Oven?
Yes! All you need to do is spread it on a baking sheet into a single layer, cook for 15 minutes at 400 degrees, and then broil on high for 3-4 minutes to finish it off.
Why Make This Spiced Butternut Squash In The Air Fryer?
You'll notice with the oven you have to dirty a big sheet pan and add the step of broiling after baking. With the air fryer, you only need to dump the butternut squash into the air fryer basket and let it cook. The air fryer just makes things faster and more efficient, so it's my first choice!
What To Serve With Air Fryer Butternut Squash
Butternut squash has a slightly sweet flavor naturally. When you think of things to pair well with it, going savory is a great tip. Apple, bacon, and ginger all pair well with butternut squash.
If you're needing a new side dish or a yummy new way to prepare your favorite squash, this Air Fryer Squash would be perfect. It's the epitome of comfort food and is sure to please everyone at the dinner table. It's one of our favorite dishes.
How Long Does It Last?
For the best flavor and texture, this Roasted Butternut Squash should be eaten within three days of air frying. After that, the texture will begin to soften.
Does Butternut Squash Need To Be Peeled Before Cooking?
Some types of squash do not require peeling before you cook and eat them because they have soft and tender skin.
Unfortunately, butternut squash is not one of those types of squash. Before you chop it up and throw it in the air fryer, make sure you take a vegetable peeler to the outside of your ripe squash and remove the skin.
Want More Easy Squash Recipes?
- Butternut Ginger Soup - Super easy to make and great for a fall or winter day!
- Keto Zucchini Bread - this bread is incredible and you'll never guess it's Keto-friendly!
- Butternut Apple Soup - this is another great butternut squash soup - and even better because it has bacon!
- This Farro Risotto With Butternut Squash gives you the savory and sweet flavors of fall in one delightful dish!
If you like this Air Fryer Butternut Squash as much as we do, make sure you share it with your friends on Facebook and Pinterest so they can try it too.
- In a small bowl, mix together the butternut squash, oil, Truvia or sugar, and the Chinese 5 spice powder.
- Place the squash in the airfryer basket. Set the airfryer to 400F for 15 minutes.
- Yeah, that's seriously all that there is to it. You're done. Eat.
- To make this in the oven, cook at 400 for 15 minutes, and then broil on high for 4-5 minutes.
- Coat your butternut squash evenly to maintain even spice distribution, or you could get a mouthful of Chinese 5 Spice!