If you have a better recipe for an easy, spicy, creamy, authentic tomatillo salsa, I need to see it immediately because if not, I am going to claim that this is the BEST tomatillo salsa you’ve ever had–especially when you consider that it is keto and low carb.
I have no shame about saying this because it’s actually not my recipe. I got this from Nora Heene and she was kind enough to make me a batch of it to taste.
To. Die. For.
I have eaten it on or with EVERYTHING Including kababs, tandoori chicken, rice, and tomatoes.
Let’s be honest, I’ve also eaten it straight off the spoon.
When Nora originally posted it, she had made it to go with my authentic Carnitas recipe, which she and her family like very much. So you know it will also be great in tacos.
I wish I had some of my Slow smoked Pork Shoulder because I think it will make dynamite tacos with smoked meat as well.
But really you just need to make it once, and you will realize how many more things it will go with.
HOW DOES THIS KETO CREAMY AVOCADO TOMATILLO SALSA TASTE?
The tomatillos give it a subtle tang. The serranos lend a lovely heat that you can feel coming on. And just as you think “Whoa! This is spicy!” the crema comes in, to soothe and please.
I tell you I cannot stop eating it.
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS KETO CREAMY TOMATILLO SALSA:
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 6 medium tomatillos
- 2 Serrano peppers
- 2 cups water
- Remove the husk from the tomatillos and wash to get the sticky stuff off them.
- Place the tomatillos and two serrano peppers in a pot. Add the water.
- Allow the water to come to a boil and then cook until the tomatillos turn a darker green (approx 5 min). Do not over boil or you will end up with broken, mushy tomatillos.
- Remove from water and put in blender.
- Add fresh cilantro, salt to taste, a garlic clove or frozen cube, one whole avocado and two heaping tablespoons of crema Mexicana (or sour cream).
- Blend and adjust salt and/or cream based on your preference.
- Makes about 4 cups of sauce which keeps very well in the refrigerator.
This recipe makes about 4 cups of sauce. I used 1/2 cup as a serving for macros.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.