This is a great mix of poblano peppers, onions, and corn, cooked in the Instant Pot and finished with a little crème fraîche. Except I didn’t have crème fraîche. and I really didn’t want to go the grocery store for one ingredient. So improvised by using a mix of whipping cream, lemon juice, and sour cream. All this makes is keto-friendly, and of course, delicious!
I started out wanting to char the poblanos on my gas stove but it was taking too long and frankly I got a bit bored. Then I remembered when I made Eggplant Baingan Bharta and Baba Ghanoush, I’d just charred the eggplant in the Instant Pot to get the smoky taste I needed.
So I cut the poblanos into long strips, and charred them in the Instant Pot, cooking them in one layer, undisturbed, until the skin-side got black and charred.
At this point, I threw in sliced onions and corn, a little water, cumin and salt and let it cook for one minute under pressure. I finished it with the my version of crème fraîche and it tasted sweet, smoky, and creamy when I was done.
Two advantages of making it in the Instant Pot for me, were that I didn’t have to stand and char the peppers one at a time, and then wait for them to steam, and that I didn’t have to baby sit the dish at all.
The only effort was at charring the peppers in the pan. The rest of it was simply dump and cook. The short cooking time makes the vegetables cook perfectly, while also creating a very flavorful stock which you mix in with the creme.
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER RAJAS CON CREMA Y ELOTE
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Ground cumin
Simple, one-step version of Pressure Cooker Low Carb Rajas con Crema y Elote bypasses charring the poblanos--yet ends up with all the flavor the traditional Rajas con Crema recipe.
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 2 poblano peppers, sliced into long strips
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/3 cup whipping cream or half and half
- 1/2 lemon , squeezed
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- Heat Instant Pot on Sauté, and when hot, add oil and spread it on the bottom.
- Spread the sliced poblanos, skin side down and let them burn a bit without disturbing them, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in onions, corn, water, cumin, and salt.
- Close Instant Pot and cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute, release pressure quickly.
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the crême fraîche and once the vegetables are done, mix in the crême fraîche gently.
- Sprinkle with a little addition powdered cumin for fragrance if desired.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.