Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom soup–or rather, SPICY cream of mushroom soup–tastes like the canned soup you may have grown up with, except with a twist. It’s gluten-free and it has just a little kick of spice from one ingredient.
One of the advantages of having lived in different countries, and of having traveled and EATEN my way through many different countries and their cuisines, is that I have very few sacred cows. (Oh the jokes that come to mind with growing up in India and sacred cows…But I digress).
Anyway. There are few things I hold sacrosanct when it comes to “rules” of cooking. It just has to be easy, healthy, and taste good.
HOMEMADE CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
I will say I also don’t like using canned soups. I don’t have the nostalgia that many people who grew up in the States have about canned soups, which many ate while growing up.
So when Roger told me that my soup tasted just like Campbell’s cream of mushroom soup–except with a slight kick–it took me a minute to realize he actually meant that as a COMPLIMENT!
My initial outrage quickly gave way to a slight melting of my heart, which always happens when I imagine Roger as a little kid. So if you too are nostalgic about this soup, or if you just like mushroom soup, as I do, this Instant Pot cream of mushroom soup is not only a tasty, easy, pour-and-cook recipe at its finest, it’s also gluten-free and entirely delicious.
HOW TO MAKE A GLUTEN-FREE INSTANT POT CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
To be honest I am not even sure what goes into a canned cream of mushroom soup but I’m pretty sure flour is a good part of it.
But really, why?
Isn’t it CREAM of Mushroom Soup? Why can’t we use Cream? I mean, what’s wrong with good, old-fashioned cream?
Nothing. That’s what. So that’s what we will be using.
WHY IS THIS A SPICY CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP?
I could totally give you some made-up scientific flavor mixing reason but instead, I’ll tell you the truth, as I always do.
- I didn’t want to make up yet another Cream of mushroom soup recipe. I hate being a “me too”.
- I had a jalapeño that needed using up.
- I thought it would taste good so I threw it in.
- I was right, by golly.
It’s not a hot and spicy cream of mushroom soup; rather it’s flavorful. You taste a hint of jalapeño just as you swallow, in the back of the soup. Trust me, it’s perfection. Or #trusturvashi as my Facebook group says.
DOES IT HAVE TO BE SPICY CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP? WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE IT A PLAIN INSTANT POT CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP?
Leave out the jalapeño and go easy on the pepper.
That’s it really.
So, let’s get this very complicated (not!) recipe going.
Oh, and if you have mushrooms left over, try this Pressure Cooker Keto Chicken Mushroom Soup that is also to die for! I also have a super simple keto Bacon and Mushrooms recipe that takes no effort and is very tasty.
DOES IT HAVE TO BE SERVED HOT? CAN THIS BE AN ELEGANT CHILLED CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP INSTEAD?
So that’s the beauty of this soup. You can eat it hot of course, but it’s actually a dynamite chilled soup as well. I’d make a little extra, and then chill it and serve it cold the next day.
What would make it work is also to swish some ice cubes in the bowl to quick chill, and then fish them out right before serving. Add the cream after the ice-swishing has occurred so you don’t have clusters of cream in the bowl.
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS IN THE RECIPE CARD TO RATE.
Instant Pot Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 4 cups mushrooms (your choice of type of mushroom) cut into quarters
- 3 cup sliced onions
- 1 jalapeño pepper chopped
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 3-4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place all ingredients except finishing cream into the Inner liner of your Instant Pot.
- Set the Instant Pot at High pressure for 10 minutes. When cook time is complete, allow the pot to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes and then release any remaining pressure.
- Open the lid and use an immersion blender to purée the soup leaving some mushroom pieces whole for texture.
- Pour in the cream, stir well, and serve.
- Omit the Jalapeno pepper if you want a traditional cream of mushroom soup.
- Note this soup tastes FANTASTIC when served chilled as well. Just make ahead of time and serve as a cold soup which is perfect in summer.