Air Fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp are so easy to make in your Air Fryer, and are so much healthier than traditionally fried shrimp. Rice flour makes these air fried shrimp both crunchy and gluten-free.
What Makes This Air Fryer Shrimp Amazing?
On top of this being a lighter version of air fried shrimp, it's also a gluten-free recipe. The rice flour makes a light and perfect crunchy coating for these Air Fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp. This easy Air Fryer recipe would be great for a quick appetizer that you could have ready in 10 minutes.
What Do You Need for Air Fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp?
Peppercorns! Outside of traditional peppercorns, the Sichuan peppercorns give this Air Fried Salt and Pepper Shrimp such an amazing spice profile. They're different from regular peppercorns.
They're just the right amount of spice but more importantly, they make your tongue slightly numb and tingly which is a lot of fun.
If you don't have those, try using regular ground pepper and see if you like the recipe. If you do, you can get Sichuan peppercorns for a change.
Can I Make This With Cornstarch?
I will tell you I tried these with cornstarch and they really weren't as good as with rice flour. So I'd take the time to get rice flour for this shrimp recipe.
Once you have it, you can use rice flour to make other breaded air fryer dishes as well, and you only use a small amount, so it will last awhile.
Watch A Video On How to Make Air Fryer Shrimp
Can you use frozen shrimp for Air Fried Shrimp?
- Plan. You can! It does require some planning ahead.
- Thaw. You will need to make sure the shrimp is completely thawed before applying the breading, otherwise it will not stick.
- Hot Water. I suggest to defrost the frozen shrimp by using hot tap water. Soak the shrimp in hot water. When the water gets cold, pour out, and add more hot water. And within 10-15 minutes at most, it will be defrosted.
- Cook. Then, proceed with the recipe.
- Rice Flour. Using rice flour makes this recipe perfect for gluten-free and crisps nicely in the air fryer. You could substitute potato flour or corn flour as well.
- Find it. Rice flour can be found right in the regular grocery store in the flour section.
- Rolling Pin. For those without a mortal and pestle what works well is to put the peppercorns in a zip top bag. You can then bang the peppercorns with a rolling pin or a heavy object to crush them. Just be careful not to break your countertop!
Step by Step Photos for Making the Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Shrimp
Step One: Toast the Szechuan peppers lightly until they give off a lovely, tantalizing fragrance, about a minute or two.
Step Two: Grind the toasted peppers and salt together in a mortar and pestle, or in a clean coffee grinder.
Step Three: Add in Rice flour and toss to coat.
Step Four: Add oil and mix well.
Step Five: Put the shrimp in the air fryer basket and spray to coat with oil again. Do not skip this step. Shrimp are so lean, that you really need that little extra oil to help crisp the breading.
Step Six: Set the air fryer to 325F and cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Want some more awesome Air Fryer recipes?
- Chicken Jalfrezi - a super easy dinner idea!
- Stuffed Poblano Peppers - low carb and crazy good!
- Keto Shrimp Scampi - super fast and delicious!
However you choose to serve this simple air fried shrimp, you're going to be happy you did! Easy enough for lunch, special enough for company, and tasty enough to be a repeat dish!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don't forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- Heat a saucepan on medium heat and roast the black peppercorns and sichuan peppercorns together for 1-2 minutes until you can smell the aroma from the peppercorns. Allow them to cool.
- Add salt and sugar, and using a mortar and pestle, crush the spices together to form a coarse powder.
- Place shrimp in a large bowl. Add the spices, rice flour and oil, and mix well until the shrimp are well-coated.
- Place the shrimp in the airfryer basket, trying to keep them in as flat a layer as possible. You may want to use a rack, and place half the shrimp in the basket and the other half on the rack.
- Spray well with additional oil.
- Set the air fryer to 325F and cook for 8-10 minutes, tossing halfway through.
Watch The Video
- Using rice flour makes this recipe perfect for gluten-free and crisps nicely in the air fryer. You could substitute potato flour or corn flour as well.
- Rice flour can be found right in the regular grocery store in the flour section.
- For those without a mortal and pestle what works well is to put the peppercorns in a zip top bag. You can then bang the peppercorns with a rolling pin or a heavy object to crush them. Just be careful not to break your countertop!