Bun Thit Nuong is a classic Vietnamese cold noodle dish with crispy Vietnamese grilled caramelized pork strips, cold rice noodles, fresh herbs, and crunchy peanuts. An airfryer is an excellent way to make this quick thit nuong or Vietnamese grilled pork go to with your other accompaniments.
Every time we go to a Vietnamese restaurant, what I really want is the bun thit nuong. That crispy, slightly sweet pork, the peanuts, the cucumbers! But restaurants give you LOTS Of noodles—and not as much meat. Which is yummy, but not exactly low carb. So I decided to make my own.
Bun refers to the noodles, thit nuong is barbecued meat.
If you like Vietnamese food, you need to try out my Low Carb Vietnamese Bo Kho!
The air fryer is perfect for Thit Nuong because you’re looking at fairly thin slices of pork that need to crisp up at the edges. You can marinate this ahead of time if you like, and cook it just before you’re ready to eat.
HOW DO YOU SERVE THIS VIETNAMESE GRILLED PORK
Typically, you’d serve this with:
- Cold rice noodles
- Chopped fresh cilantro
- Chopped roasted peanuts
- Fresh mint
- Quick-pickled cucumbers and carrots
- Fish sauce poured over the top
EQUIPMENT YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE THIS KETO VIETNAMESE GRILLED PORK THIT NUONG:
- Gowise Air Fryer or Philips Avance XL or Breville Smart Oven Air
- Meat Thermometer. Essential for Air Fryer cooking!
- AIr Fryer accessory set or 7-inch pan
- Tongs to move stuff around. I use either these big silicone tongs or this set of Smaller Tongs which are easier on my hands
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- My favorite cutting board
- Good set of knives
WATCH THIS VIDEO TO LEARN HOW TO MAKE KETO AIR FRYER VIETNAMESE GRILLED PORK THIT NUONG
★ DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? DON’T FORGET TO GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW! JUST CLICK ON THE STARS IN THE RECIPE CARD TO RATE.
- 1/4 cup crushed roasted peanuts
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or parsley
- In a bowl, whisk together the onions, sugar, soy sauce, oil, garlic, fish sauce, lemongrass, and pepper.
Thinly slice the pork shoulder into 1/2 in slices, and then cut crossways into 4-inch pieces.
- Add the pork to the marinade and let it rest for 30 minutes or for up to 24 hours.
- Remove the pork slices from the marinade, and place in single layer in the air fryer basket.
Set the air fryer to 400ºF and cook the pork for 10 minutes, flipping over halfway.
Test with a meat thermometer to ensure the pork has reached an internal temperature of 165ºF.
Remove pork to a serving tray, sprinkle with the roasted peanuts and cilantro or parsley, and serve.
I bought a tube of lemongrass paste at my grocery store (in the produce section) but you can always either mince up some fresh lemongrass or omit if you can't find it.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.