Indian Cucumber & Peanut Salad Kakadi chi Koshimbir
This Indian Cucumber Salad, or Koshimbir, is a refreshing combination of cucumbers and peanuts with a few spices, making this the perfect summer salad!
Prep Time10 mins
Total Time10 mins
Chop up the cucumbers, cilantro, and peanuts into a very fine dice. I use my trusty Kuhn Rikon pull chop which I love and it works on all of these equally well.
Place into a bowl and season with salt and sugar.
In the smallest little heat proof bowl you have, heat the oil until it is hot and shimmering.
Place the mustard and/or cumin seeds and allow them to sputter like popcorn about 30 seconds.
Add in the turmeric and stir quickly.
Pour this hot, flavored oil over the cucumbers and mix well.
Squeeze lemon juice and mix once again and serve.
- This salad tastes great the first day but it is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING the next day!
- You can sub 1/4 cup of lemon juice instead of yogurt if you prefer. This is good if you're planning to use it for a picnic or leave it out with no refrigeration for hours.
- Use this slap chopper for smashing up the peanuts.
- I like to use Red Spanish peanuts but if you can't find those, just use regular roasted peanuts.
- If you're not sure how to do the hot oil technique watch this video to see how I did it for the cabbage slaw.
Calories: 87kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 6g | Sodium: 607mg | Potassium: 280mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 175IU | Vitamin C: 19.4mg | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 0.7mg