Indian Cabbage with Peas and Carrots
This classic Indian Cabbage with Peas & Carrots will be a new family favorite! It's a simple, vegan fried cabbage dish to make and is delicious eaten hot or cold.
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 4 cups slaw, shredded
- 1/2 cup frozen peas and carrots frozen
- 1 Tomatoes chopped
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 cloves Garlic crushed
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger freshly grated
- 1 teaspoon Vegetable Oil
- 1/8 cup Cilantro chopped
Heat oil in a skillet. When it starts to smoke, put in mustard seeds and cumin seeds. They will start to sputter and will sound like popcorn.
Put in the ginger and garlic and stir to brown.
Add in the onion and cook until the onion is soft and the edges are brown.
Add in the chopped tomato and 1/4 cup water to deglaze the pan.
Add the remaining spices and cook for 4-5 minutes.
Add in the cabbage, 1/2 cup of frozen peas and carrots. Mix well.
Cover and cook until the vegetables are cooked.
Mix in cilantro and serve immediately.
Eat leftovers cold with Greek yogurt.
- Serve this hot, but eat the leftovers cold.
- To add a level of flavor and creaminess, add in yogurt or sour cream to the cold leftovers.
- Serve it with rice and dal and naan for a yummy vegetarian meal.
- Don't freeze it to keep the cabbage from disintegrating. Refrigerate for 3-4 days.
- To make in the Instant Pot, add 1;4 cup water, cook at high pressure for 0 minutes, and do a quick pressure release immediately.
- To further reduce carbs in this dish, do the following: Omit carrots and peas, and reduce onions and tomatoes. You can substitute bell peppers instead.
Calories: 56kcal | Carbohydrates: 11g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g