Shrimp with Cotija and Tomatillos
This low carb Shrimp with Cotija and Tomatillos recipe is a flavorful and quick dish that's full of southwest flavor and is easy to make!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time20 mins
Heat oil in a 12-inch sauté pan. Add the onions, and jalapeños, cook for 3-5 minutes on medium high until the onions turn translucent.
Add the garlic and stir. Add the tomatillos, water, salt, pepper, and cumin. Cover the pan with a lid. Cook for 8-10 minutes, until the tomatillos are cooked through, but still hold their shape.
Add the cheese and shrimp and cook until the shrimp cook through, about 5-6 minutes
Right before serving, mix in the cilantro, sprinkle with lime juice, and freshly ground black pepper.
- In this recipe, the carbs and sugar come from the onions and tomatillos. You could cut down on the tomatillos if you wanted to reduce the carbs a bit, but the high protein and fat and sheer taste are likely to fill you up quite quickly anyway.
- Use Feta or Parmesan to substitute for Cotija.
- Make sure to peel away the husk from the tomatillo and wash it in warm water to get the stickiness off.
- Can use fresh or frozen shrimp, I like frozen because its already peeled and deveined.
- You can also make this with chicken rather than shrimp.
- Top with fresh cilantro or parsley for a fresh herby bite. Either one will accompany the recipe perfectly.
- You could try canned tomatillos but I haven't tested this recipe with them.
- If you can't find fresh nor canned tomatillos, try using the rawest tomatoes you can find, and adding a heavy squirt of lemon juice at the end. Not the same, but close.
Calories: 277kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 22g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 8g