Instant Pot Authentic Caldo De Res
This Instant Pot Caldo De Res gives you real Mexican flavor in less than an hour! It's a flavorful and comforting way to create a traditional Mexican recipe!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time45 mins
For the first cooking cycle
8 cups of mixed vegetables to add for the second cooking cycle
- 1/4 head cabbage cut in wedges
- 8 whole red potatoes, halved
- 1 ear of corn cut in 1-2 inch pieces
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 chayote squash cut into 2-3 inch pieces* (see note)
Put the beef stew meat, water, onion, garlic, cilantro, ground cumin, and salt into the Instant Pot. Set on high pressure for 20 minutes, and when done, release pressure quickly.
Add in the mixed vegetables (red potatoes, corn, carrots, and chayote squash) for a second cooking cycle. Cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Release pressure quickly.
Taste and add additional salt or water as needed.
- You could also make Caldo de Pollo with chicken legs in much the same fashion, you'd just have to adjust cook times down to about 10 minutes for bone-in legs.
- Bone-in beef shank can be used too to keep this caldo de res recipe more traditional - it just may be difficult to find!
- The hardest part of this recipe for me was cutting the corn cobs into 1-2 inch pieces. I got it done, but I might use the larger, frozen corn ears next time and save myself some trouble.
- Never heard of a chayote squash? You cansub zucchini if you have a hard time finding some, just don't cook it under pressure. Let it steam at the end.
Calories: 36.81kcal | Carbohydrates: 8.17g | Protein: 1.41g | Fat: 0.37g | Saturated Fat: 0.07g | Sodium: 604.19mg | Potassium: 179.56mg | Fiber: 1.86g | Sugar: 3.15g | Vitamin A: 1396.51IU | Vitamin C: 15.24mg | Calcium: 34.23mg | Iron: 0.68mg