Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice
Make delicious Cajun food at home in your pressure cooker with this Instant Pot Red Beans and Rice recipe! It's the perfect comfort food.
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Dump all the ingredients into the Instant Pot, except for the can of cream style red beans.
Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes, and then allow them to naturally release pressure for 15 minutes.
Remove the ham hocks and pull the meat off the bone.
Turn on saute and add in cream-style beans.
Add the ham meat back into the pot.
Cook until it bubbles up thick, or about 10 minutes.
Serve over rice.
- Cajun red beans, typically include Tasso sausage which is a smoke sausage. Peopleoften use andouille or ham as well.
- For a vegetarian version, use liquid smoke and tomatoes to add a bit of that umami taste.
- I have added a can of beans so that you can get some thickness from them as they cook down. You can of course choose to omit them. If you would rather use only dried beans, increase your dry beans to 1 1/2 cups of dried beans and purée all but1 cup cooked beans.
- Alternatively purée a can of kidney beans and add at the end.
- If you would like to add some ham to this or sausage, I would recommend that you wait until the beans are cooked and smashed. Then add in diced ham, and heat the pot on sauté. Cooking diced ham or smoked sausage for 20 minutes will make it complete mush and weird tasting with a mealy mouthfeel. I’ve done this. Never again.
- You will need to make the rice separately for this recipe as 15 minutes is too long for white rice and too short for brown rice. See all my pressure cooking rice times and get a printable cheat sheet HERE.
- To prepare ham hocks, remove and discard the skin (preferably into the mouth ofyour eagerly awaiting puppy). Then cut off all the meat and add the meat back to the red beans
- Ham hocks differ in how meaty they are. Feel free to use 2-3 ham hocks if you prefer lots of ham in your beans.
- If you don’t eat ham you can use a smoked turkey leg instead
Calories: 409kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 849mg | Potassium: 1160mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 748IU | Vitamin C: 25mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 5mg