Italian Sausage Soup
This Italian Sausage Soup recipe gives you all the flavor of Zuppa Toscana without all the carbs! You can make this delicious recipe in under 30 minutes!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time21 mins
Total Time26 mins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound hot Italian sausage removed from casing
- 1 cup onion diced
- 1 tablespoon Minced Garlic
- 12 ounces frozen riced cauliflower thawed
- 12 ounces frozen spinach thawed
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
- 1.5-2 teaspoons Salt
Set out the cauliflower and spinach to thaw while you get the other ingredients ready. Chop the onion, and mince the garlic.
Heat a 3 quart pot on medium high. When it is hot, add in the sausage and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat so it is more like ground beef rather than a sausage. In other words, smooth the sausages down and break them into bits. Be ruthless.
Add in the onions and garlic and mix well.
Add in the cauliflower and kale.
Add in 2 cups of water and place a lid on the pot. Allow the soup to come to a boil, about 7-8 minutes. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
Slowly pour in the cream. Add in the shredded parmesan cheese. Allow the soup to come to a boil again.
Serve 2 cups per serving, with additional cheese as desired.
- This makes a generous 3-quart batch or 12 cups. Each serving is 2 cups. Be sure to use a 3-quart soup pot unlike me, who started with a 2-quart pot and had to switch part way through. AS YOU CAN SEE IN THIS VIDEO! Doh!
- You can use frozen veggies for this soup. It will just take a little bit longer to cook them. Just thwack the frozen package of greens on the kitchen counter, and add the chunks into the soup. No need to get fancy with thawing :)Â
- You can substitute spinach, kale, or swiss chard for the greens.
- This is a great meal prep soup since it seems to get better and better as it keeps.Â
Calories: 452kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 38g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Potassium: 630mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g