Fruit Hand Pies
These delicious Fruit Hand Pies are quite possibly the best way to eat pie! You can make them with whatever fruit you'd like and they're absolutely to die for!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time35 mins
Total Time1 hr
For the Fruit Filling (see options below)
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon coarse sugar
Preheat the air fryer to 320Â°F.
On a piece of 8 1/2 x 11-inch paper, trace around a 6-inch round baking pan. Cut out the circle (this will be the pattern for cutting out the pie crusts); set aside.
In a medium bowl, stir together the flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in the shortening and butter until pieces are pea-size. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the cold water over part of the flour mixture. Toss with a fork. Move the moistened pastry to the side of the bowl. Repeat with remaining flour, using 1 tablespoon of the water at a time, until everything is moist. Gather the flour mixture into a ball and knead gently only as much time as it takes to come together in a ball.
On a lightly floured surface, slightly flatten the pastry, then roll from the center to the edge into a 13-inch circle. Place the pattern on the pastry near one edge. Using a small, sharp knife, cut out a 6-inch circle of pastry. Repeat to make two circles. Discard dough scraps.
Place half of the desired Fruit Filling on half of the pastry circle, leaving a Â¼-inch border. Brush the bare edge with water. Fold the empty half of the pastry over the filling. Using a fork, press around the edge of the pastry to seal it. Poke the top in a few places with a fork. Repeat with remaining filling and pastry.
In a small bowl, beat together the egg and water. Brush over the tops of the pies and sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
Place the pies in the air fryer basket and cook for 35 minutes or until pies are golden brown.
Cool pies on a wire rack for 20 minutes before serving. (Or, cool completely and serve at room temperature.)
- Apple: In a medium bowl, toss together 2/3 cup chopped apples, 1 tablespoon sugar, Â½ teaspoon flour, and a dash of apple pie spice or cinnamon.
- Blueberry: In a medium bowl, toss together 2/3 cup fresh blueberries, 3 tablespoons sugar, 1 teaspoon quick-cooking tapioca or cornstarch, and Â½ teaspoon lemon zest.
- Cherry: In a medium bowl, toss together 2/3 cup pitted tart cherries (thawed if frozen), Â¼ cup sugar, and 11/2 teaspoons quick-cooking tapioca or cornstarch.
- As a shortcut, instead of making the pie crust you can use puff pastry. It makes the recipe much easier and faster if you donâ€™t have the time to make the crust yourself. Simply cook them at 320F for 20 minutes if you use puff pastry.
- *Note: Macros do not include ingredients in fruit fillings since you could use different ones
- Use a pastry cutter to make your task easier.
Calories: 819kcal | Carbohydrates: 73g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 52g | Saturated Fat: 22g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g