Jamaican Peas and Rice
Make authentic Jamaican Peas and Rice at home in a flash with your Instant Pot! This recipe follows a nontraditional way to get you traditional taste, so #trusturvashi :)
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time10 mins
Total Time15 mins
- 1 cup Jasmine Rice rinsed and drained
- 1 cup Water
- 1 tablespoon Ghee coconut oil, or vegetable oil
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper
- 3 sprigs sprigs Fresh Thyme or 1/2 teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1 cup canned kidney beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup Full-Fat Coconut Milk
Place the rinsed and drained rice into the inner liner of your Instant Pot.
Add the scotch bonnet pepper (left whole), thyme, salt, allspice, and water and mix well.
Pour in the ghee or vegetable oil and stir lightly.
Add the kidney beans on top and do not stir.
Cook at high pressure for 4 minutes and let it release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. When 10 minutes are up, release all remaining pressure.
Add 1/2 cup of light coconut milk, mix well, and close the lid again. Allow the rice and peas about 10 minutes to absorb the coconut milk.
Open, remove the sprigs of thyme and the scotch bonnet pepper, and serve.
- Unfortunately, I do not know how to make this with brown rice and/or uncooked kidney beans so please don't ask me to guess as that recipe is untested.
- Please read the post to understand why I ask you to layer the ingredients and why the coconut milk is added after cooking.
Calories: 262kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 1g