Low Carb Scuffins
Use some low sugar dried fruit and Carbquick to make a low carb scuffins--a cross between a low carb scones and low carb muffins that are sure to satisfy your sweet craving. These scuffins are light, moist, and tasty!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 12 scones
- 3/4 cup dried fruit soaked for an hour OR
- 1 cup fresh berries can be subbed for dried fruit
Soak one cup of mixed fruit (very little to no sugar added) in 2 cups of hot water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and add fresh hot water and cover for another 30 minutes. You are doing this to get rid of any sugar added to the fruit, and also to rehydrate the dried fruit.
Using a strainer, allow the fruit to drain for 15 minutes.
If using fresh fruit, skip this step.
Preheat oven to 375F
While the fruit drains and the oven preheats use a pastry cutter to cut butter into the Carbquik.
In a separate bowl, mix egg, 1/2 cup heavy cream, almond essence and sugar substitute.
Add to dry mixture, and mix until well blended.
Fold in rehydrated mixed fruit or fresh berries. Form into 12 balls and place on a greased cookie sheet. Push down to flatten slightly and neaten edges.
Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes until the tops are browned and a toothpick inserted inside is clean.
- I do not know how to account for the sugar being washed out of the fruit so this recipe may have fewer carbs than indicated if you follow the wash and drain steps I ask for.
- If you use fresh berries, please recalculate macros.
- I also do not know of a substitute for Carbquik
- Almond milk can be subbed for HWC
- I do not know how they will turn out without the egg
Calories: 151kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g