Most of the recipes I see for cheese sticks are heavily breaded and fried. So we did these with panko breadcrumbs to get a light coating, and they turned out very well. The kids enjoyed them too. Great appetizers but best eaten hot.
- 8 Sticks Mozzarella String Cheese
- ½ cup Panko Bread Crumbs
- ½ teaspoon Garlic Powder
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1 Egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line small baking sheet with aluminum foil
- Open string cheese packages and cut cheese into two even pieces.
- Put bread crumbs, garlic powder and pepper in zip lock bag. Close bag and shake until well mixed.
- Spray fry pan with Pam oil and preheat on medium low burner. When pan is hot, pour bread crumb mixture into pan, and stir often until crumbs are a golden brown, about 8 minutes. Don't skip this step. We tried it without toasting them, and they tasted undercooked.
- Pour crumbs into bowl and let cool.
- Whisk egg until well mixed.
- Dip a piece of cheese into egg mixture, roll in bread crumbs and place on baking pan.
- When all cheese is coated, place pan onto middle rack of oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove, let cool until very warm and eat while warm.
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.