At first I drank my protein shakes like a good girl. Then I struggled through them. Then they made me sick. By the time I was post op, I was so sick of them, I’d rather have starved. Three things saved me.
1. If you find yourself getting nauseated with them, chances are quite good that you are lactose intolerant, especially after the surgery. I take lactaid pills with my first sip and it really helps with nausea, diarrhea, gas, gurgling, cramping hell.
2. I found two shakes I liked. Yours will be different but for me it was Chike Coffee protein, Syntrax mint chocolate chip, and I can also tolerate Syntrax Double Stuffed cookie. It helps to make only 4 ounce, with 1 scoop of powder, half a cup of liquid, and the rest ice to make a 6 ounce cup to slurp on, so keep the quantities small.
3. HIgh protein soups. These saved me. You can’t do these unless you are on full liquids, but once you’re on them, and if you are sick of sweet protein shakes, please do try these.
I am posting links to my blog where I have posted them. Full disclosure, I do not make money off this blog, so this is not for self-promotion. I like creating different recipes and sharing so I hope they help someone.
Sorry I don’t have pictures yet for these, but I will get them up there soon. Once you are through your liquids stage, also search for soft foods, or look up the ground chicken and ground beef recipes, and you may find something you like that is sleeve friendly.
Here’s the list of foods but I’ve also recently created a new category right here so click on this as well to keep up with the new recipes as they get added. You can also follow my pinterest board at: http://www.pinterest.com/statgamer/food-vsg-full-liquids-or-soft-foods/
Full Liquids Stage
- 1. Egg drop soup ( I haven’t posted a proper recipe because it’s so simple. Boil chicken broth, stir in two beaten eggs when it boils, stir with a pair of chopsticks. Take it off the flame immediately, cover, and let it sit for 5 minutes to let the egg cook. Add salt, pepper, and my fav, some sesame oil for a fresh flavor).
- Hot & sour soup
- Shrimp “bisque”
- Lobster bisque
- Tortilla soup
- Chicken and mushroom soup
- Protein pudding
- Chocolate Mousse
Soft Foods Stage