This super-simple yet flavorful Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja will add great pizzazz to your dinner table. Great way to change up your chicken game! It’s fast, delicious, and extremely flavorful.
You’re going to feel like you’re adding waaaay too many spices–but you’re not. You’re adding just the right amount of spice, and it’s going to be spectacular when you’re done.
It’s one of those super easy recipes where you do minimal browning and then throw everything in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot and just let it cook.
WHAT’S UP WITH THE NAME, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?
I don’t know what to call this ok? if someone has a better name let me know. But it’s chicken, it’s Mexican-style spices, we learned it from someone who was Mexican, it’s in a red tomato sauce–hence the dubious but descriptive name.
If you want other Mexican Recipes, I do have a Mexican Pressure cooker cookbook with some great Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes for the pressure cooker, so you can definitely check that out.
In the meantime, you just make this Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja and enjoy it, no matter my pathetic naming abilities.
EQUIPMENT & INGREDIENTS YOU MAY NEED TO MAKE PRESSURE COOKER MEXICAN CHICKEN POLLO CON SALSA ROJA
- Instant Pot Mini Duo or Instant Pot 6 quart or Instant Pot 8 Quart
- Measuring cups
- Measuring Spoons
- Cutting Board (my fav one)
- Good set of Kitchen knives
- Chile Powder
- Minced Garlic
- Diced Tomatoes
- Tomato Paste
- Canned Jalapeños
THE STEPS TO MAKING THIS PRESSURE COOKER LOW CARB MEXICAN CHICKEN POLLO CON SALSA ROJO ARE:
- Mix chicken with spices and brown long enough to “bloom” the spices
- Dump everything else in there
- Cook 15mins HP, 10 mins NPR
This super-simple yet flavorful Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja will add great pizzazz to your dinner table. Great way to change up your chicken game! It's fast, delicious, and extremely flavorful.
- 2 pounds chicken thighs boneless, skinless cut into bite sizes
- 1.5 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons chile powder (NOT cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 14 ounces diced canned tomatoes
- 5 ounces can diced tomatoes
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 ounces canned/pickled jalapenos
Turn your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker onto Sauté.
While it heats, coat the chicken with the cumin, chile, and salt.
Pour the oil into the pressure cooker once it is hot, and add the coated chicken pieces.
You are doing this step to get the spices to "bloom" a little bit to get their full flavor. So cook it for 4-5 minutes, and you should be good to go.
Add everything else into the pressure cooker and close.
Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes, and allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Release all remaining pressure.
Use two forks to shred the chicken a bit more if you're serving as tacos, or eat over rice.
Love the recipe? Check out my Pressure Cooker Mexican Recipes e-Cookbook.
Prefer an Indian Cookbook ? Check out Traditional Indian Dishes made easy and fast with my new cookbook!
This Instant Pot cookbook contains:
- 50 Quick and Easy Recipes requiring minimal ingredients and 60 minutes or less of prep and cook time
- Prep Advice for stocking your kitchen with the best tools and spices
- Instant Pot Guide making the most of your Instant Pot for delicious Indian dishes
- Handy Tips substituting ingredients for variations on your favorite recipes
Order your copy today!
- Ready to upgrade your Instant Pot with must have accessories? Check them out here!
- You’ll also love these top 20 gadgets for foodies that will complement any kitchen!