Why 3-2-2-1? Firstly because it’s super quick. Secondly because that’s how I remember the proportions of spices. Three teaspoons chili powder, 2 teaspoons ground cumin, 2 teaspoons salt, and 1 teaspoon oregano. This takes the place of any packaged chili spice mixes and does it so well, I don’t buy pre-packaged mixes anymore. If you do want to use a packaged mix, I have a old recipe here for it, and it works well, but here’s a good one that’s from scratch.
So I’ve been over-thinking this chili. There are so many complicated recipes out there with lovely ingredients like cocoa, Mexican chocolate, espresso, strong coffee, Rotel, etc. that I was somewhat paralyzed before starting to do this recipe properly. Then I told myself to stop worrying about all the exotic ingredients, make a basic but tasty chili recipe. So I set aside all the recipes, and just cooked by feel as I typically do, and it worked out great. So here we go.
The corn tortillas are to help thicken the final product because as you guys know, the Instant Pot produces a lot of water in a recipe, and I hate using corn starch to thicken things because I don’t think it adds flavor. I’d rather thicken with something that adds flavor and the tortillas do that well. So this is a good, basic Tex Mex chile, and to make it more keto, top with cheese and sour cream.
- Heat Instant Pot on sauté, and when it's hot add the oil, and then add chopped onions and minced garlic. Stir for 30-seconds and then add ground beef. Break up the ground beef and allow it to browns slightly,
- Meanwhile blend together the canned tomatoes and the corn tortillas until relatively smooth.
- Mix the various spices in a small bowl and once the ground beef is somewhat brown (but not fully cooked), add the powdered spices and allow the spices to bloom for 30 seconds.
- Add in the blended corn tortillas and tomatoes and use the 1/2 cup water to wash out the blender and pour that into the pot.
- Seal quickly, cook at high pressure for 10 minutes, and allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 mins and then release remaining pressure.
- Mix well, top with cheese if desired and serve.