I live in the suburbs of DFW which means getting good Sichuan food is not easy. Well, I mean, it’s easy, it’s just a 45 minute drive which is really a pity because I love Sichuan Food. So I have to resort to making it for myself. I made a super tasty Sichuan Pork Soup (minus noodles) and a Sichuan pepper cabbage etc. but Dan Dan Mein is something else. I love it but the noodles are an issue. In addition, it’s a multi-step recipe with making chili sauce, making the spiced ground pork, and then making the noodles.
So of course I wanted a short cut. I basically made a sauce, cooked the chicken with it, and put it over shirataki noodles which are no-carb, and Roger and I scarfed it down. I made this in the Instant Pot but it can be made on a stove-top just as easily.
- 1 pound chicken breast or thighs cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup water
- Blend together the sauce ingredients, using the hot water to help melt the peanut butter.
- Pour over chicken and mix well. Allow it to marinade for 30 mins if you have time.
- Mix with remaining water, and cook at high pressure for 7 minutes, use natural pressure release for 10 minutes, and then release remaining pressure.
- Mix with rinsed shirataki noodles and serve, garnishing with cilantro if desired.
*I used crunchy peanut butter so I'd save yet another step in chopping peanuts to serve on top. Yup. I'm just that lazy 🙂 If you use smooth peanut butter, just scatter some roasted, chopped peanuts on the finished dish.