Apparently your Instant Pot can indeed make the most delicate, perfectly steamed, flaky fish. You just have to know what you’re doing.
After many rubbery shrimp meals, I finally figured out how to make a perfect PIP Shrimp with Coconut Milk Curry, and I’ve been wanting to try fish.
Roger loves fish but I don’t the smell of it in the house, and Alex refuses to eat it anyway (because fish are friends, not food. Yes, he’s 17 but he’s crazy about marine life).
Our favorite Chinese restaurant is a hole in the wall in a predominantly Vietnamese area near us, and they have a black cod with ginger and scallions, Cantonese fish that we love.
I’ve been wanting to reproduce it, and while I didn’t get it exactly the way they have it (I know why too, which I’ll touch on), it was extremely delicious.
Most importantly, the fish was cooked to perfection, which isn’t what you’d expect out of the Instant Pot and fish. Look at that piece of fish!
The recipe steps for the Instant Pot Low Carb Ginger Scallion Fish are:
- Marinate fish and then steam for 2 minutes LOW pressure, QPR
- Sizzle julienned ginger, cilantro, and scallions, add marinade and cook well
- Pour over fish
- 3 tablespoons Soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Rice wine
- 1 tablespoons Chinese black bean paste
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- 1 pound firm white fish such as Tilapia
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons julienned ginger
- 1/4 cup julienned green onions/scallions,
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Place fish pieces in a plate. Mix the ingredients for the sauce and pour over the fish and let it marinade for 20-30 minutes.
- Meanwhile chop the vegetables and set aside.
- In the inner liner of your Instant Pot, place 2 cups of water and a steamer.
Remove the fish from the marinade, and place the fish in a steamer basket. Reserve the marinade.
- Cook the fish for 2 minutes at LOW pressure. Release pressure immediately.
Heat a saucepan and add oil. Once the oil shimmers, add ginger and sauté for 10 seconds, add the scallions, and the cilantro and stir fry. Once the ginger and scallions are cooked and softened (about 2 minutes), add the reserved marinade and let this boil vigorously until cooked through.
- Pour over the fish and serve immediately.