I burned this the first time I made it. HUGE mess in my Instant Pot and it took me forever to clean it out. Thankful for stainless steel inserts that stand up to a good scrubbing. The first time around I had too little water, and I used tomato paste which is tricky to use in a Instant Pot.
But it’s difficult to give up on the lure of a comforting chicken and rice dish. My Indian version, the Chicken Biryani I created, is one of my favorite Indian dishes. I just don’t love the hours it takes and the very many dirty dishes it creates. My streamlined version took care of that issue.
So for Mexican cooking week, I certainly had to have a chicken and rice dish, and of course it had to be Arroz Con Pollo. The second time I tried it, I made only the rice, to ensure I could get that right. I’m posting that separately as Mexican Rice here. The third time I tried it, I was ready to add chicken, and it worked out well.
So here are the steps for this recipe:
- Blend the vegetables but do not rinse rice
- Sauté rice, add veggies, then add vegetables, water, seasonings
- Cook HP for 6 mins, NPR 10 minutes, release remaining pressure.
- 1/2 onion, quartered
- 2 tomato, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1/2 jalapeño, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 1 pound chicken thighs, boneless and skinless, cut into bite size chunks</span>
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 2 teaspoons powdered cumin
- 1 pack Goya sazon with achiote & cilantro (can omit if you don't have)</span>
- 1 1/4 cup water
- In a blender, blend together onions, tomato, garlic, cilantro, and jalapeño.
Meanwhile turn your Instant Pot to Sauté and when it's hot, add in 1 tbs of oil. Add in the rice and sauté until the rice is translucent about 3-4 minutes.
Add the chicken and the cumin, Goya Sazon and salt, and cook for a minute or two to let the spices bloom.
- Add in the blended vegetables and the water, seal the Instant Pot, set to Manual HP for 6 minutes. Allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes, and then release any remaining pressure.
Serve with a tomatillo salsa for a little piquant flavor.