Instant Pot Mexican Caldo De Res gives you real Mexican beef soup flavor in less than an hour. Light, flavorful, and comforting way to create a traditional Mexican beef soup recipe in your pressure cooker.
Sometimes the simplest ingredients combine to give you the most flavorful of dishes. As I was making this Mexican beef soup, with nothing to flavor it except a little salt and ground cumin, I was worried it would be quite tasteless.
It was not tasteless. It had the savory taste of comfort and flavor, and all this with so little effort. The onions and cilantro add flavor to the broth, and the vegetables add their own lovely flavors to the soup. Truly a comforting, hearty caldo de res with a light, flavorful broth.
This recipe takes two cooking cycles. First, you cook the meat with just onions, cilantro, salt, cumin and a few slices of jalapeños. Then, when that is done, you add the vegetables and cook them all once again.
Traditionally caldo de res is made with bone-in beef shank but I couldn’t find that easily, and I figured if I couldn’t, others too would have trouble.
So I decided to try it with beef stew meat. I think the Instant Pot does a great job of extracting all the possible flavor out of meats and none of us 5 tasters felt the lack of bones in the soup.
But if you can find it, feel free to use bone-in beef and adjust cooking time accordingly.
This is what chayote squash looks like. If you can’t find this, use zucchini but don’t cook it under pressure. Just let it steam after the soup is done.
Either way, I got it done but I might use the larger, frozen corn ears next time in this caldo de res to save myself some trouble. Although I must say, these are the perfect nibbling size.
How to make Pressure Cooker Caldo de Res:
- Cook beef with some aromatics for 20 minutes and quickly release pressure
- Add vegetables and additional water, and cook for 5 minutes at high pressure and quickly release pressure.
- No really, it’s that simple to make Caldo de res in your Instant pot or pressure cooker!
- You could also make Caldo de Pollo with chicken legs in much the same fashion, you’d just have to adjust cook times down to about 10 minutes for bone-in legs.
So. Now you can stop wondering how to make the best, the easiest, the most authentic caldo de res in your Instant Pot or pressure cooker, and just go make it!
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
Instant Pot Mexican Caldo De Res
Instant Pot Authentic Caldo De Res gives you real Mexican flavor in less than an hour. Light, flavorful, and comforting way to create a traditional Mexican recipe in your pressure cooker.
For the first cooking cycle
- 1 pound beef stew meat
- 5 cups water
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 2 Tbs garlic minced
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons salt
Vegetables to add for second cooking cycle
- 8 cups of mixed vegetables including:
- 1/4 cabbage cut into wedges
- 8 red potatoes cut in half
- 1 ear of corn cut into 1-2 inch rounds
- 1 carrot sliced
- 1 chayote squash cut into 2-3 inch pieces* (see note)
- Put all ingredients listed under first cooking cycle into the Instant Pot, set on high pressure for 20 minutes, and when done, release pressure quickly.
- Add in all vegetables for a second cooking cycle, and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Release pressure quickly.
- Taste and add additional salt or water as needed.