This super-simple yet flavorful Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja will add great pizzazz to your dinner table. Great way to change up your chicken game! It’s fast, delicious, and extremely flavorful.
Mexican Chicken Pollo Con Salsa Rojo | Low Carb
You’re going to feel like you’re adding waaaay too many spices–but you’re not. You’re adding just the right amount of spice, and it’s going to be spectacular when you’re done.
It’s one of those super easy recipes where you do minimal browning and then throw everything in the pressure cooker or Instant Pot and just let it cook.
WHAT’S UP WITH THE NAME, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD?
I don’t know what to call this, OK? if someone has a better name let me know. But it’s chicken, it’s Mexican-style spices, we learned it from someone who was Mexican, it’s in a red tomato sauce–hence the dubious but descriptive name.
Looking for more delicious Mexican recipes? Check out my Pork Chile Verde recipe! It’s a great way to get tender Mexican pork and it takes minimal effort on your part.
And if you’re looking for a great Mexican side dish, check out my Mexican Rice recipe! It’s a delicious and authentic Mexican rice that’s very easy to make!
If you want other Mexican Recipes, I do have a Mexican Pressure cooker cookbook with some great Mexican and Tex-Mex recipes for the pressure cooker, so you can definitely check that out.
In the meantime, you just make this Mexican Chicken Pollo con Salsa Roja and enjoy it, no matter my pathetic naming abilities.
THE STEPS TO MAKING THIS PRESSURE COOKER LOW CARB MEXICAN CHICKEN POLLO CON SALSA ROJO ARE:
- Mix chicken with spices and brown long enough to “bloom” the spices
- Dump everything else in there
- Cook 15mins HP, 10 mins NPR
★ Did you make this recipe? Don’t forget to give it a star rating below! Just click on the stars in the recipe card to rate.
- 2 pounds Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless cut into bite sizes
- 1.5 tablespoons Ground Cumin
- 1.5 tablespoons Mexican Red Chili Powder (NOT cayenne)
- 1 tablespoon Salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 14 ounces Canned Tomatoes
- 5 ounces can tomato paste
- 1 small onion chopped
- 3 cloves Garlic
- 2 ounces canned/pickled jalapenos
- Turn your Instant Pot or Pressure cooker onto Sauté.
- While it heats, coat the chicken with the cumin, chile, and salt.
- Pour the oil into the pressure cooker once it is hot, and add the coated chicken pieces.
- You are doing this step to get the spices to "bloom" a little bit to get their full flavor. So cook it for 4-5 minutes, and you should be good to go.
- Add everything else into the pressure cooker and close.
- Cook at high pressure for 15 minutes, and allow it to release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Release all remaining pressure.
- Use two forks to shred the chicken a bit more if you're serving as tacos, or eat over rice.