I’ve had a package of chicken tenders sitting in the fridge since yesterday and I’ve been needing to cook it. I also forgot to put the spinach in the Panang Curry I made yesterday (oops!) so I had that left over. I had to come up with something plain-ish since the main customer for the chicken is my picky-eater teenager, but he’s been doing better about trying different things.
So I put the tenders in the slow cooker and added several indian spices like turmeric, garam masala etc., and mixed up the chicken well. I took it out and put it in a paper plate (I hate doing dishes).
Then, I took most of the 8 ounce of baby spinach and smashed that in the bottom of the slow cooker. Normally I’d use onions as the base in a slow cooker chicken that I was making, but the Picky Eater dislikes onions. So I thought I’d try it with spinach (yes, he’s more likely to eat spinach than onions. Go figure.). This way, I could still get some moisture out of the vegetables. The spinach will also make a nice sauce afterwards.
I put the chicken back in on top of the spinach, put about 2 tablespoons of water just because, and let the whole thing cook.
Put the tenders into your slow cooker (I used a small 1.5 quart slow cooker for this one).
Put in all the spices and mix it well. Set this chicken aside in a paper plate. Another way to do this may be to mix it all along with the chicken in a ziplock bag and throw the bag away. It's a little wasteful but I find the flavors really mix well when I'm not worried about having to touch raw chicken (ew!).
- Put the spinach in the bottom of the slow cooker, and smoosh it down.
- Place the seasoned tenders on top of the spinach.
- Turn on slow cooker and cook for 3-4 hours on high and 6-8 hours on low.
- Carefully remove the very tender chicken pieces and using an immersion blender, puree the spinach. You can add a little half and half if you want to increase the creaminess and fat content of your dish.
- Serve the chicken with the sauce, and a little rice if you'd like. (I'm Asian, I ALWAYS like rice.)
I am not a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information is provided a courtesy, and can vary depending on the exact ingredients you use.