So a while ago I posted a lamb Rogan Josh recipe that used Onion Masala. While I think this extremely versatile onion masala is a great thing to make and have at hand, I also wanted to post a recipe for people who didn’t have it made, and still wanted to make the Rogan Josh. The original recipe is also in the Instant Favorites: Easy & Delicious Indian Pressure Cooking recipe e-book which you can buy on this site.
Rogan josh gets it’s distinctive red color from Kashmiri Mirchi, which I know isn’t a staple part of everyone’s cupboard. So instead, we’re going to use smoked paprika for color, and cayenne pepper for heat.
The steps are so simple:
- Marinate the lamb in all the spices and vegetables if you have time, else just mix everything together.
- Put it all in the Instant Pot
- Use HP 20 mins, and NPR
- 1 pounds . leg of lamb cut into cubes or beef or chicken , and use Instant Pot charts to adjust cooking time accordingly
- 1 small red onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic , minced
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1/4 c greek yogurt (if you're dairy free, add some lemon juice and 1/4 c water while cooking)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 c chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon powder
- 1/4-1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (adjust to your taste)
- 1/4 c water if you want some sauce for rice , otherwise omit
This is so complicated I don't know where to begin
Mix everything together in a bowl. If you have time to marinate for an hour or eight, do it, otherwise just cook.
Put the mixture into your Instant Pot
Cook at 20 mins at high pressure for a soft lamb, or 15 mins if you want it slightly chewier (I went with 20 mins and it was perfectly soft but not yet shredding). Let it release pressure naturally.
Yeah, you're done. Eat.