This is a great mix of poblano peppers, onions, and corn, cooked in the pressure cooker and finished with a little crème fraîche. Except I didn’t have crème fraîche. and I really didn’t want to go the grocery store for one ingredient. So improvised by using a mix of whipping cream, lemon juice, and sour cream. All this makes is keto-friendly, and of course, delicious!
I started out wanting to char the poblanos on my gas stove but it was taking too long and frankly I got a bit bored. Then I remembered when I made Eggplant Baingan Bharta and Baba Ghanoush, I’d just charred the eggplant in the pressure cooker to get the smoky taste I needed. So I pulled the barely charred peppers off the stove, cut them into long strips, and charred them in the pressure cooker, cooking them in one layer, undisturbed, until the skin-side got black and charred. At this point, I threw in sliced onions and corn, a little water, cumin and salt and let it cook for one minute under pressure. I finished it with the my version of crème fraîche and it tasted sweet, smoky, and creamy when I was done.
Two advantages of making it in the pressure cooker for me, were that I didn’t have to stand and char the peppers one at a time, and then wait for them to steam, and that I didn’t have to baby sit the dish at all. The only effort was at charring the peppers in the pan. The rest of it was simply dump and cook. The short cooking time makes the vegetables cook perfectly, while also creating a very flavorful stock which you mix in with the creme.
- 1 tbsp oil
- 2 large poblano peppers sliced in long strips
- 1 red onion sliced thin
- ¾ c frozen corn
- ¼ c water
- 1-2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp powdered cumin
- ⅓ c whipping cream or half and half
- ½ fresh lemon, squeezed
- 1 Tbsp sour cream
- Heat pressure cooker on Sauté, and when hot, add oil and spread it on the bottom.
- Spread the sliced poblanos, skin side down and let them burn a bit without disturbing them, about 5-8 minutes.
- Add in onions, corn, water, cumin, and salt.
- Close pressure cooker and cook on LOW pressure for 1 minute, release pressure quickly.
- Meanwhile, mix all ingredients for the crême fraîche and once the vegetables are done, mix in the crême fraîche gently.
- Sprinkle with a little addition powdered cumin for fragrance if desired.