I love Ethiopian food and after driving miles to the only good Ethiopian restaurant in town, my husband and I decided to learn to make it ourselves. This recipe calls for Berbere. You can either make it yourself, which I highly recommend, or you can buy it at Penzey’s etc. Make it.
- 2 tablespoons ghee
- 1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons berbere spice mix
- 1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 cup water
- In bowl of food processor, pulse onion and garlic until roughly chopped, scraping bowl as necessary.
Set Instant Pot to brown and pour in ghee. When lightly smoking, add onion/garlic mixture, berbere, and salt.
- Saute well until the mixture is fairly dry. Do not skip this step. Ideally we would have made spiced ghee (niter kibbeh) but we didn't because today we are lazy/efficient. This step allows the spices to lose their raw smell, to infuse the ghee with the spice flavors, and cook the onion down to a nice base for the beef. Put in the ground beef and smash until there are no lumps.
- Add half a cup of water, set pressure to high, and cook for 10 minutes. Let it come off pressure naturally. For an electric Instant Pot, turn it off and let it rest for 10 minutes before releasing pressure.
- Follow steps 1-4 above. Add a little more water, cover, and let it simmer gently until the meat is cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy!